SharePoint users get business benefits by utilizing its rich collaboration abilities and content management capacities. It provides the opportunity to take offices online which make sharing and collaboration easier as well as helps in managing teams and inter-teams communication. It also allows sharing huge number of documents and data on a central location.
SQL Server supports SharePoint Server at back end which gives user the choice to store numerous amounts of data. The content database can store up to GBs to TBs of data. The facility to store unlimited amount of data can overwhelm the
database which can create troubles for SharePoint applications. Eventually it experiences bottleneck and slows down which negatively impacts
In such situations storage optimization is required which can increase SharePoint application’s performance. On the other hand while valuable storage is being occupied by data, deleting data from this valuable storage is not the solution since a lot of
Externalization can be the solution; it is also very helpful in improving the performance of SharePoint application. BLOBs externalization will reduce the size of database and ultimately the performance will improve. Blob
externalization is provided by StorageEdge.
StorageEdge externalizes BLOBs to a cheaper storage which also saves storage cost. Storage will be used efficiently and the application remains trouble free by the help of StorageEdge.
SharePoint also helps in creating websites for information exchange and document collaboration. SharePoint can assist in doing tasks like:
- SharePoint users can independently perform many tasks without the support of IT staff.
- SharePoint can considerably reduce the time required to manage the file system which saves a lot of user’s valuable time.
- SharePoint can make an office a virtual office. Separate websites can be kept for each department where they can share and exchange data.
- It can help in assembling people from different departments and make a new unique team for a project.
- A huge amount of data can be gathered at a central location/ point where anyone permitted can access it instead of individually communicating for any information exchange.
SharePoint administration handles and monitors all tasks done on a SharePoint application. It makes sites or groups on department or team basis. It is responsible of giving rights to user to access data from different teams. But
sometimes it happens that some important data is deleted or removed by mistake and it is not found in any location possible like recycle bin or other sites. So the question here is what should be done in such a situation where important data is at risk?
A proper backup of the data should be taken to avoid clumsy situations. StorageEdge ensures the management of data including its backup/recovery through the following:
• Simplified SharePoint backup/recovery having less, smaller content databases, the SharePoint backup tools provided by StorageEdge is a blessing indeed.
• Externalizing BLOBs to different storage tiers such as SAN or NAS
• Letting the administrators configure the Recycle Bins to hold items for unlimited periods without fear of increasing database size makes self-recovery of documents possible.
• SQL Server is not the right place for your BLOBs. StorageEdge takes them to where they should be i.e. cheaper storage
• Facilities such as policy-based storage tiers, compression and encryption not only reduce SharePoint backup/recovery times but also help you save on overall storage costs.